I’m putting this here mostly so I don’t have to keep texting my brother for his kombucha recipe every time I want to make some. His recipe makes a gallon but that’s a bit too much for us to go through before it starts getting too strong. I cut it in half.
My brother’s basic recipe is as follows:
- 8 cups water
- 4 Tbs black tea
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Kombucha mama
I have a bad habit of not finishing things. This applies in many areas, but it’s relevant to this post because I have a lot of almost dead fancy teas. As an exercise in finishing things I thought I’d use up a couple of teas that have been with me for an embarrassingly long time. The recipe is in tablespoons but for Fun and Science™ I thought I’d weigh things out. Here’s how my ‘bucha bill ended up:
- 5 grams jasmine yin hao (from when my brother used to work for a tea distributor, I think)
- 7 grams mango tango (from the Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse — don’t ask me when I was last in Boulder)
- 4 grams (two tea bags) oolong tea (no story, they come in a box of 100)
It’s been a while since I last made Kombucha and our SCOBY had dried out a bit. I gave it some more water and a bit of sugar to perk it up while the water boiled. I poured 7 cups of boiling water on the tea ball and let it steep for two minutes. Then I added the the last cup of water cold to help bring the temperature down. Normally I would use less hot water so it wouldn’t take as long to cool but 7 cups was how much it took to submerge the tea ball in the crock I used. Once the temperature cooled down enough (comfortably warm, not hot) I added the mother and covered the crock with a cloth. It should take about a week to ferment. When it’s ready I’ll be back with an update and let you know how it turned out.